Saturday, December 24, 2016

Christmas Eve

Making the phone call

Before I begin talking about my procedure; I need to thank Lindsay Glass. He was the first to find me having my seizure. We remain close today. I also need to talk about the most important phone call of my life. Mom and Dad 1006 miles away. I'm lucky enough to still have my parents in my life. As I've aged I've realized they are the reason I was born, and the reason I'm alive today. Unfortunately, some people do not have that luxury. If you are caught in this position, call immediate family right away no matter what circumstances you've dealt with in the past. They will be there for you. If you do not have family; I recommend calling people closest to you. Every single human being has a heart and feels sympathy when you're in trouble. 

This particular phone call was one that I remember handling with questions first, information later. I wanted to let them know that I was ok and there was no need to panic. 

Typically when a millennial calls his/her baby-boomer parents its because they A:Need money B:In a car accident C:In jail. I've made a few of these calls before. I can now understand why a parent worries so much. 

My Father was fresh into retirement having worked as a mechanical engineer at the same company for over 38 years before retiring in June, 2016. He was drafted in the Army during the Vietnam War in 1969 and is a genius with engineering, math, and astrophysics. 
Dad is the type of person that understands there is no problem that cannot be solved. Time and effort will eventually fix the problem. If you're lucky enough to know my Dad; you agree that he should be working for NASA.

My Mother was fresh into unexpected retirement having worked as a Medical Transcriptionist for over 41 years at the same hospital.  Typical Mom, spending money on juice boxes for the entire little league team; juggling 2 kids, volunteering as a Girl Scout leader, all while working night shifts in a male dominated medical industry.  I called Dad because I know my Mom would immediately go into Mom mode and think about the thousands of medical records she had typed over the years. Its ok, Mom. I'm still here, and I'm not going anywhere for another 60 years. 

As my parents were frantically looking for hotels, packing, and preparing for a difficult 3 day drive during a brutal Northwest winter, I enjoyed a night and posted this on Facebook Christmas Day.

Watch my 


No comments:

Post a Comment